Spicy, flavorful and ready in no time. Each tasty taco is gluten-free, paleo-friendly and has an easy swap to make it dairy-free if needed!
- 1 lb (450 g) raw Marina del Rey peeled + cleaned frozen shrimp, thawed
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) of your favorite healthy cooking oil or butter for sautéing
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (.625 mL) black pepper
- 6-12 leaves of romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves*
- choice of toppings from list below
- shredded carrots
- chopped red bell pepper
- chopped or sliced jalapeño pepper
- pickled carrots or pickled jalapeños
- shredded cabbage or slaw
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- fresh cilantro
- crushed red pepper flakes
- extra hot sauce
OPTIONAL GREEK YOGURT RANCH (skip for paleo or dairy-free)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP chopped scallions or chives
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp dried dill (fresh works too!)
* I like to double up with two lettuce leaves per taco, though feel free to use singles if preferred! I used romaine lettuce but Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce cups work great too! You can also totally use flour or corn tortillas here if that’s what you have handy – they’re great every which way!
- Set defrosted shrimp in the fridge, covered, while you prep your tacos.
- If making the optional Greek Yogurt ranch, heat minced garlic in a little bit of oil (you can do this not he stove or in the microwave) until hot. This infuses the oil with garlicky goodness and cuts the bite of the raw garlic. Whisk all ingredients together and set aside. Leftover ranch can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed the following 2-4 days.
- Wash lettuce and chop your choice of veggies from the topping list.
- Heat a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat with 2 tsp of butter or oil (I used butter) and sauté your shrimp. Season with paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until shrimp curl and become opaque. The cook time will depend on the heat setting you choose and the size of your shrimp, but regardless they’ll be perfectly cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Add buffalo sauce to pan and mix to coat while the pan is still hot.
- Shrimp may be added to the tacos whole or chopped into bite-sized bits – both are great options!
- Pile the shrimp on your lettuce and top with your choice of tasty taco toppings.
I used jumbo shrimp for this recipe (so amazing!) and also went with Marina del Rey’s frozen Argentinian shrimp which has been cleaned, peeled, and prepped for easy use. Love it!
Paleo + Whole30 – Skip ze optional ranch drizzle (or use your favorite paleo ranch – yum!) and use clarified butter for your shrimp and buffalo sauce. Easy peasy!
COOK TIME 6 MIN
PREP TIME 14 MIN
YIELDS 6 TACOS
Contributor: Jenn Laughlin from Peas and Crayons